Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy (belated) Fathers Day


(I prepared this post for yesterday but I had some technical difficulties with my internet so I'll post it today. )
Happy Fathers Day to all the proud papa's out there, especially mine. Luckily while my sisters and I were growing up my dad was able to work from home. This was the best. Even though it took him some time to master the perfect braid, the time we spent with him was well worth all the crooked ones. My youngest sister cried when she was told she had to start going to school because "she didn't want to leave Papi"(now she is a big nerd, go figure). I think a lot of people feel like their dads are significantly less involved in their lives than their moms, but with our dad that was hardly the case. When I was maybe 9 years old the pool my team and I trained at in the winter had no starting blocks. It was evident in races that my starts were starting to suck. My dad and my grandpa designed and build a portable starting block for the pool. He was on the board at our elementary school. He started coaching my sister's soccer team when she was maybe 5 years old. He coached them until her and her teammates all went and played soccer in college, and still coaches her semi-pro league team today (she is 19). He always found time to listen to our hopes and dreams and encouraged us to pursue them, no matter how outrageous they seemed. There aren't enough ways to talk about what an incredible father and mentor our dad has been for us and everyone around him. Most importantly, I think he has taught us to be passionate about everything we do and to not waste time doing things we don't love. Happy Father's Day Papi. We love you. 

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”
― A.A. MilneWinnie-the-Pooh



No comments:

Post a Comment